Thursday, January 24, 2008

The .243 Win vs .30-06 on prairie dogs

I find myself posting over at the Cabelas talk forums from time to time (probably more than is healthy), and sometimes the conversations there lead me to thinking about how they apply to my own experiences. The topic of what is the best all around caliber came up, and it somehow got me thinking about prairie dogs. I had a chance to recently compare the difference between shooting a prairie dog with a .243 Win, and a .30-06. Both shots were at roughly 150 yards, and both shots were head shots. The .30-06 was loaded with a 150grn bullet, while the .243 was loaded with a 70grn bullet.

The .30-06 Springfield

You will notice in the picture below that death was quick and clean for this particular critter. The bullet struck the animal somewhere above the shoulders and didn't even pause to say "hello", instead it just proceeded down range on its merry way. You will notice that there is very little blood in the picture, and the complete lack of a head (I tried to find it, but had no luck - not even a blood trail to follow).


The .243 Winchester

What a difference bullet selection can make. This bullet clearly entered the head via the mouth. The head has been pulled apart - almost as if somebody held the bottom jaw in place and pulled the top of the head up and back, opening the little guy up wide. There are bloody flecks all around this animal, and while death was quick, it certainly wasn't as tidy and peaceful has his (I think it may be a her) little buddy's.


And another thing...

I got lucky, and hit these 2 with one shot (.243 @ 75 yards). Some people call that luck, but not me...okay, it was luck. (one is on the left, in the foreground, the other is a little to the right of me). They were standing right next to each other when I shot them, but they got blasted back a bit.




No comments: