Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Kansas Bucks

I went out hunting with my buddy Aaron this past fall. We went to a patch of land not too far northwest of Kansas City. We had fairly good luck....

To get an understanding of the size of this deer, keep in mind that I'm a hair or 2 shy of 6'6", and weigh in around 260lbs (yup, I'm a fatty).

This nice sized 13 pointer walked in front of Aaron at 20 yards. I don't have that kind of luck, maybe next year.


A Bit About Equipment:

  • My deer was shot at 85-100 yards with a Ruger M77 MII, chambered in .243, topped with a Bushnell Elite 4200 riflescope. I roll my own rounds, and use a 100grn Sierra Pro Hunter (#1540). The velocity for the load I use is a little low - coming in around 2800 fps (I think) - a little low compared to the people who like to throw lead at 3500fps (What I lose in speed I gain in accuracy - a fair trade I believe).


  • Aaron's deer was shot with (if I remember correctly) a Schmidt-Rubin K31 Carbine, 7.5x55 Swiss, also topped with a Bushnell Elite 4200. He was firing store bought rounds - so I know nothing about the velocity or anything else. I know the overall accuracy on the gun is pretty darn good though, as he and I took it out to western Kansas this past spring and shot prarie dogs.

No comments: